What is Web Hosting and its types – I know a lot of websites and blogs can do well on cheap hosting packages, but your compilation is looking for web hosts at cheap prices, of course you also don’t need a web host with “cheap services” too , right? before that I will explain what is web hosting.
What is Web Hosting ?
Hosting is a place / internet service that functions to store all kinds of webste needs using a database so that it can be accessed online on the internet all over the world. Data stored in a web hosting database can contain documents, images, videos, emails, applications, etc.
What is the main function of Web Hosting ?
The main function of hosting is as a place to store various kinds of documents, images, videos, emails, applications, etc. So that your website can be online and seen anywhere as long as you can still access the internet, the hosting functions are as follows :
- Where to store data
The main function of a web hosting is as a place to store various data or property of a website so that it can be accessed via the internet. With this data storage, the website owner can provide various data needed by website visitors.
- As a Website Data Access Address
The next hosting function is to redirect site access from another DNS (domain name server). That is, for example a site with a website.com domain registered at a particular DNS. In order for the site to be accessed the domain must be linked to hosting so the domain provider server can access the hosting where the site’s database is stored.
- Maintain Website Online
This hosting function is very important, especially on a website that is widely accessed for public and business services. In order for a website to stay online the hosting must have a high uptime guarantee from a trusted hosting provider.
How web hosting works ?
Maybe you are still confused with the description of web hosting. To more easily understand it, you can start by imagining opening a website address on a search engine. When you access the website address, the internet will then send an access request to the hosting server. Then the server will respond by sending back the data from the website address that is sought in the form of text and images.
How to find out the hosting needs of your website.
Please ask yourself the following questions:
- What kind of website will be made?
- Do you need a Windows application for your website?
- What software or code will be run (example: PHP)?
- How much is the estimated number of visitors coming to your website?
- Does your website need certain software?
- Is your website only going to be made with WordPress?
How to choose your own Hosting website
Before buying hosting you should pay attention to whether the website has fulfilled these 7 important things :
One of the most important things a web hosting must have is to be able to run a website 24×7. So you need a web hosting that has maximum server performance and connectivity.
There are Upgrade Options
Make sure the hosting service that you will use has a service to upgrade if your website exceeds the limit. But if you have a plan to manage a website with a large need for hosting resources, we recommend that you use VPS.
Domain Addon Feature
The price of a domain name is very cheap, only around one hundred thousand for a full year. For those of you who plan to manage more than 5 websites, make sure the hosting package that will be used has a domain addon feature of at least 10 domains.
Money Back Guarantee
It is important to make sure the hosting you use provides a money back guarantee. Because you do not know the problem that will be faced when you use hosting.
First and Extension Price
Make sure you check the price of the hosting package offered between the price of a new and extended registration. Does the price remain the same or much more expensive with the renewal price.
Easy-to-use Control Panel
The control panel is a tool that can make it easier for you to manage a website on a hosting account. Starting from installing a website, making an email, to doing website maintenance.
24 hour support
24 hour support is a must for hosting services that you will use. This will be useful to get help when your website is down at 10 pm or early morning.
Quality hosting specifications for your website
Choose a web hosting package that has a diskspace capacity that suits the needs of our website. In addition to the amount of capacity that must be appropriate, the type of storage media must not escape attention. Instead of choosing HDD, it’s better to use web hosting that already uses SSD. Because, SSDs are proven 8 times faster than HDD. Bandwidth
Random Access Memory (RAM)
If diskspace is a permanent storage place for file hosting, RAM is a temporary storage place for files.
Entry Process (EP)
Entry Process (EP) in hosting is a benchmark to count the number of website scripts that are processed by a web hosting at a time.
I / O
The next web hosting specification that cannot be left behind is I / O or Input Output. I / O determines how fast the upload and download process is on your hosting service.
What are the Types of Web Hosting
Basically hosting consists of various types and specifications, according to the needs of users. Referring to the understanding of hosting above, as for several types of hosting are as follows:
Shared hosting is a type of web hosting service where in one server there are several websites. This type of hosting is generally cheaper than others, other than because the specifications (RAM and CPU) are lower, the server is used by several users or website owners. This type of hosting is usually used by bloggers or website owners whose website traffic is not much.
- Easy to use for beginners (you don’t even have to master a programming language)
- Pre-configured server
- Easy-to-use control panel
- Server maintenance and administration is carried out by the hosting provider
- Little or no control on the server configuration
- If traffic is high on other users’ websites, this will affect the performance of your site
2. VPS Hosting
VPS hosting is an abbreviation of Virtual Private Server, which is a virtual machine that is used as hosting for websites. Basically VPS is similar to shared hosting, but VPS has its own advantages, namely greater resources and virtualization technology.
Virtual Private Server is very suitable to be used by bloggers or website owners who have websites with large traffic.
Advantages of VPS hosting:
- Dedicated server space (without having to buy a dedicated server)
- Increased traffic on other websites has no impact on your site’s performance
- Root access to the server
- Easy scalability
- Can be managed alone
Disadvantages of VPS hosting:
- Very expensive when compared to shared hosting
- Must master information and technical knowledge related to server management
Dedicated hosting is a type of hosting service that provides a server that is used for only one website account. In other words, one server is dedicated to serving just one client or one website.
This type of hosting is perfect for bloggers or website owners with very large traffic. In addition to better website performance, dedicated hosting also offers better privacy because it is only used by one client.
Advantages of Dedicated hosting :
- Full control of server configuration
- High reliability (you don’t need to share server resources with other users)
- Root access to the server
- Guaranteed security
Disadvantages of Dedicated hosting:
- Must master technical knowledge related to server management
Cloud hosting is a type of hosting with the latest technology that utilizes cloud computing technology. Cloud hosting uses a lot of servers that are spread at many points in various countries so that the website that is in this hosting process is loading faster, more stable, and tends to be more secure.
Advantages of Cloud hosting:
- Little or no downtime
- If the server error, it will not affect your site at all
- Resource allocation on request
- Pay according to what you use
- More scalable than VPS
Disadvantages of Cloud hosting:
- Costs are difficult to estimate
- Root access is not always available
5. WordPress Hosting
WordPress hosting is another form of shared hosting and is made for WordPress website users. The server is specially configured for WordPress and your site is equipped with pre-installed plugins on important things, such as caching and security.
Advantages of WordPress Hosting :
- Cheap (generally has the same price as shared hosting)
- Easy to use for beginners
- One-click WordPress installation
- Good performance for WordPress sites
- Customer support masters things related to WordPress.
- There are pre-installed WordPress plugins and themes.
Disadvantages of WordPress Hosting :
- Only can be used by websites that are made on WordPress (problems can arise if you want to link many websites on the server, but some of your websites aren’t made using WordPress).